In a recent discussion at the office, we were going over our favorite books from high school. All the usuals made their appearances, Catcher in the Rye, Pride and Prejudice, A Separate Peace, Of Mice and Men and of course The Great Gatsby. I’ve posted Jay Gatsby before and Daisy twice but thought I’d take another look with the new collections. The brief rundown is—Gatsby is rich and has a crazy love affair with Daisy, but Daisy is a greedy trollop who only cares about status. Gatsby dies and despite their love for each other, that bitch doesn’t even show up to his funeral. Good god woman, have some respect. In the crazy Jazz age of East and West Egg, there were some great parties and plenty of money floating around, so you’d best believe Gatsby had some good style or…steez.
1. What’s up Daisy, look at my designer jeans…yah, a lot has changed since high school.
Coat and scarf by Corneliani, cardigan, shirt and tie by Canali, jeans by Junya Watanabe, boots by Paul Smith
2. Daisy, you just killed that woman! (edited from man, i read the book over 10 years ago, gimme a break)
Coat by Rag & Bone, pants by Salvatore Ferragamo, shirt by Junya Watanabe, cardigan by Billy Reid, shoes by Hermes
3. This party SUCKS, but at least I look AWESOME
Coat by Thom Browne, suit and shoes by Yves Saint Laurent
i mean…who doesn’t love luna lovegood. she’s so fly, she’s so cool and she has charms that keep away the nargles.
1: quibbler anyone? skirt by peter jensen, top by marc jacobs, shoes and bag by diane von furstenberg
2: you’re just as sane as i am: dress by rachel comey, shoes by rodarte, fanny pack by diane von furstenberg
3: slug club partaaay: dress by karen walker, top by peter som, shoes by rag and bone
greynoises asked about some things he can wear for spring/summer that won’t kill him (i’m assuming budget wise) and what footwear to wear with shorts. i’d been working on putting a few things together of my own that i’d like to buy, what a nice tie in.
1: things i want
- jack spade waxed cotton mac- every man needs one, every man looks better in one, hands down. similar versions are available at j.crew and i’m sure a million other shops
- haversack tennis sweater- a light sweater is key for those transition days, this one runs a cool $500.00 (chyah…right.) but anything like this is a great addition to your wardrobe, hits it with jeans, shorts and trousers.
- madras- can’t live without madras, light and very appropriate for warm weather also a nice way to inject some color into your arsenal. again, j.crew, steven alan, gap, pretty much anywhere you can snag one of these guys. i myself wear them all year because i am a wasp and throw them under warm sweaters.
- the right pair of faded jeans- there are wrongs and rights in faded jeans, don’t go skinny, go straight leg. make sure they aren’t too light because this is 2010 not 1983. the pair shown is gilded age, a gift i received many years ago. if you have to choose one thing not to skimp on i recommend denim.
- rain slicker- a nice alternative to a mac coat if you can’t pick one up and also a little more casual for weekends etc. steven alan shown.
- a straw fedora- yup.
- lightweight solid sweater- throw on over a tee with some jeans to run out real fast.
- to wear with shorts- boat shoes, avoid the flip-flop at all costs. pairs shown are ndc but again, you can pick boat shoes up anywhere for a decent price.
- more madras- just reiterating.
- chambray shirts, safari looking ones- i just really like these and the detailing punches up an otherwise boring grey shirt. jack spade shown.
- jack spade navy waxwear brief- if you carry a bag and you want one for spring…get this.
- desert boots- for your jeans and trousers if you’re not rolling exclusively in boat shoes, rag and bone shown.
these are guidelines from me of course, mix ‘em up with what you’ve got. more q’s? ask away.
in an homage to tim burton’s announcement, i give you the prince from sleeping beauty. most of us know the story from the walt disney version, prince phillip vanquishes maleficent to save princess aurora. the original however, isn’t quite the same. prince phillip is actually prince john, maleficent is actually his ogress mother and aurora has children. most of the details are laid out here in the original sleeping beauty post. anyway, i hope you enjoy prince john from sleeping beauty.
1: stumbling upon a castle in the forest: coat by agnes b, glove things by rag and bone, pants by michael bastian, vintage boots
2: i’m living a double life: trench coat and scarf by gilded age, jeans by bottega veneta, boots by burberry prorsum
3: vanquishing some evil: coat by burberry prorsum, pants by cp company, boots by ferragamo
1: rag and bone fall 2010 boots: let’s get some shoes. shoes.