Greek and Roman mythology has its place, but Norse mythology is way better. Of the Norse pantheon of gods, the Valkyries take the top spot. Their job was to choose who lived or fell in battle. Half of those chosen would be taken to Valhalla, the kingdom of Odin, to prepare for the epic final battle of the world, Ragnarok. Crazy. The other half would go to Fólkvangr, a field ruled over by the goddess Freyja. The Valkyries would ride into battle to claim their soldiers and shuttle them to either place, pretty badass. More modern depictions of the Valkyries have them riding through the skies with shield and sword to complete their mission. In reality, they probably wouldn’t have cared what they were wearing but idgaf.
1. So you’re gonna go to Valhalla
Pants by Altuzarra, shirt by Balmain, boots by Lanvin
2. So you’re actually gonna to Fólkvangr
Dress by Versus, coat by Reed Krakoff, shoes by Versus
3. I don’t even know where you’re going, let’s just blow this popsicle stand.
Dress by Prabal Gurung, coat by Altuzarra, shoes by Dolce & Gabbana
Check it check it, Prabal Gurung just dropped his Spring 2012 video. The clip marries the Nobuyoshi Arkaki floral prints which served as inspiration with a writhing model—pretty sick.
Also, see Prabal’s Fall collection in this handy animation thing I did:
Rise and shine kiddos. For the past few weeks, I’ve been working on this video. Last night, after 6 straight episodes of Game of Thrones, I finally finished. I took a few of my favorite fall 2012 collections and animated up right nice. They’re not necessarily my top collections from all over but they’re all great. Press play, hope you like it.
1. Derek Lam
2. Prabal Gurung
4. Band of Outsiders
5. Marc Jacobs
6. Mary Katrantzou
10. Alexander McQueen
12. Dries van Noten
Song Credit: Bossa Nova Baby, Elvis Presley
Last night, I went to Barneys New York to visit Gaga’s Workshop. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the Mother Monster, but I knew it wasn’t going to be the typical scene of Madison and 60th. Here is a brief 30 point account of last night’s events.
- Cops! My car got sirened at. Fuck the police.
- Oh look, there’s Prabal Gurung wearing the Junya fair isle baseball jacket. Gotta cop some Junya at the CO-OP.
- Oh hey, I’m in the elevator now, aren’t we all excited?
- (I hope they have a bathroom in Gaga’s Workshop)
- The door is about to open, I’m definitely intrigued by the workshop. The doors open, drag queen statues everywhere talking at me.
- Hey look! It’s Bryan wearing a onesie and a feathered coat and Wendy who I haven’t seen in a long time! Let’s hang out you guys.
- Oh look, there’s lady Gaga’s face on a cookie! I’m going to eat you, girl.
- (I really need a bathroom)
- (There’s a bathroom on 6!)
- Go upstairs and talk about life with security guard by the bathroom while waiting for elevator. He works the night shift and has to be there till 6:00 am, ouch.
- Back downstairs
- Hey look it’s Leandra! Sweet man, we’re pals now because we did that thing together.
- Let’s get a drink, is there beer?
- No, no beer. I’ll take a gin and tonic then, delicious.
- No alcohol inside the workshop, only in the party room, which I’ve now named “The Champagne Room” and you can’t have sex their either.
- Oh, hello Blake Lively, let me try and lure you over here with this light-up bouncy ball. Why isn’t this working? I’ll just show your assistant. Assistant enjoys my bouncy ball skill.
- This place has everything: stuffed puff little monsters, a confection ring with fingers on it, press on rock nails, studded Michael Jackson gloves, flygrip iphone cases, a tiara for a wedding dress, a candle that cries tears from its eye canals, leather bound children’s books and an arachnid mother-monster.
- Seth Meyers asks, “what’s an arachnid mother-monster?”
- Stefon answers, “it’s that thing where they turn Lady Gaga into a giant spider full of Christmas presents and they explode all over a department store.”
- Moving on, Leandra and I bumped into Danny, he’s wearing the Versace for H&M overcoat, it’s pretty nice actually.
- Brad Walsh from twitter said hi and introduced himself, IRL.
- Whoa! There’s Lady Gaga and she’s wearing a crazy dress that Chanel had custom made for her.
- She’s getting closer, now is my chance to post a photo to facebook and prove that yes, I do have a life. Fuck you, high school!
- She poses with a fan, he is immediately cropped out of my picture.
- Phone dies and I get really pissed about it.
- Leandra tries on Michael Jackson gloves.
- I tell Leandra that I don’t think they’re a wise purchase.
- We go grab another drink, this place is crazy and we talk about stuff like thanksgiving and my house.
- My stomach craves indulgence and my work is calling my name.
- Cheeseburger with onion rings and bacon on it with fries.
So there you have it, my evening in 30 points. If you do have time, you should really check it out. In 6 weeks, the whole thing will be gone and despite some of the wilder items up there, I will be doing plenty of Christmas shopping in Gaga’s Workshop. If you can’t make it up to Madison, you can shop the entire collection on Barneys.com.
Lydia Deets is one of my favorite apathetic characters ever. Having watched Beetlejuice many times in my childhood, I like to think that her general negative attitude toward everything rubbed off on me. I can only my children grow up with the same pessimistic outlook. Anyway, Lydia finds herself stuck in Connecticut with her frantic mother and simple father. Little do they know, their new home is where the ghosts of Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis live, isn’t that fun? Lydia forms a relationship with them and has various misadventures in the netherworld where she runs into Beetlejuice. I’m a little hazy on the details but there are sandworms and witch doctors and almost a wedding. Also, the cartoon version was great.
1. Bride of Beetlejuice
Dress by Prabal Gurung, vest by Maison Martin Margiela, shoes by Celine
2. I myself am strange and unusual
Dress by Commun, coat by Prabal Gurung, shoes by Carven
3. Shake, Shake, Shake Senora
Dress by Christian Dior, vest by Lanvin, shoes by Acne
Did you enjoy this post? You might find these fun too: