greynoises asked about some things he can wear for spring/summer that won’t kill him (i’m assuming budget wise) and what footwear to wear with shorts. i’d been working on putting a few things together of my own that i’d like to buy, what a nice tie in.
1: things i want
- jack spade waxed cotton mac- every man needs one, every man looks better in one, hands down. similar versions are available at j.crew and i’m sure a million other shops
- haversack tennis sweater- a light sweater is key for those transition days, this one runs a cool $500.00 (chyah…right.) but anything like this is a great addition to your wardrobe, hits it with jeans, shorts and trousers.
- madras- can’t live without madras, light and very appropriate for warm weather also a nice way to inject some color into your arsenal. again, j.crew, steven alan, gap, pretty much anywhere you can snag one of these guys. i myself wear them all year because i am a wasp and throw them under warm sweaters.
- the right pair of faded jeans- there are wrongs and rights in faded jeans, don’t go skinny, go straight leg. make sure they aren’t too light because this is 2010 not 1983. the pair shown is gilded age, a gift i received many years ago. if you have to choose one thing not to skimp on i recommend denim.
- rain slicker- a nice alternative to a mac coat if you can’t pick one up and also a little more casual for weekends etc. steven alan shown.
- a straw fedora- yup.
- lightweight solid sweater- throw on over a tee with some jeans to run out real fast.
- to wear with shorts- boat shoes, avoid the flip-flop at all costs. pairs shown are ndc but again, you can pick boat shoes up anywhere for a decent price.
- more madras- just reiterating.
- chambray shirts, safari looking ones- i just really like these and the detailing punches up an otherwise boring grey shirt. jack spade shown.
- jack spade navy waxwear brief- if you carry a bag and you want one for spring…get this.
- desert boots- for your jeans and trousers if you’re not rolling exclusively in boat shoes, rag and bone shown.
links: j.crew, jack spade, ndc, steven alan, rag and bone
these are guidelines from me of course, mix ‘em up with what you’ve got. more q’s? ask away.