What’s an Elizabeth Bennet post without one of her sisters? Let’s look at Lydia, the flirtatious frivolous one, the carefree one, the one who like just doesn’t care about anything. Her behavior puts her family’s reputation in jeopardy along with her own well-being. After running away with the villainous Mr. Wickham and he is bribed to marry her, she considers it a fine marriage. I don’t know, Lydia’s just a bit of an airhead. I know a lot of girls like Lydia and sooner or later things catch up with them and they go crazy. But it’s always fun to watch.
1. Sup boyzzzz Dress by Isabel Marant, shoes by Peter Pilotto
2. Let’s go to the dance Dress by Christopher Kane, shoes by Dolce & Gabbana
3. My husband loves me, because he’s paid to love me Dress by Dolce & Gabbana, shoes by Marc Jacobs
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Lizzy Bennet of Pride and Prejudice is like the coolest girl in school. She’s nice, she’s pretty but not in annoying way and she’s impossibly fair and grounded. If only more girls out there would take a page from her book, le sigh. Sure, she’s a little bit of a country bumpkin, but it’s not like she’s Sarah plain and tall. If there was one woman from literature I’d grab some coffee with, it’d probably be her. JUST SAYING. Enjoy!
1. The is Meryton, it’s a friendly place Dress by Erdem, jacket by Jason Wu, shoes by Jonathan Saunders
2. Mr. Darcy, what’s your deal? Wait, let’s get married… Dress and shoes by Oscar de la Renta (duhhh)
3. Of course Lydia is hooking up with Wickham, OF COURSE SHE IS. Shorts by Marc Jacobs, top by Proenza Schouler, shoes by Paul Smith
So any suggestions for the next character post? I’d love to hear.
This has probably been asked a million times... but how do you create the character looks? Do you photoshop the pieces onto model bodies? Is it a website?
It’s a long and painful process. Basically I take a shot from the runway with the piece I like and rework them on to another model’s body. Each post takes about 2 hours but it’s totally worth it. Thanks for reading!
Thank you all for the birthday wishes yesterday. And thank you for supporting Textbook this past year, you are all greatness and you all make me happy. There are lots of exciting things ahead here so stay tuned!
Pippi Longstocking has a pretty sweet life—super human strength and a house all to herself. She also seemed to have endless adventures, which can’t surprise anybody because she’s a character in a children’s story. I bet she dressed like a crazy person though…which pretty much means she dressed really f’ing awesome.
1. I’m just gonna pick my house up, no worries Dress by Marc Jacobs, shoes by Michael van der Ham
2. Just call me Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim’s Daughter Longstocking Skirt by Erdem, shirt by Aquilano Rimondi, shoes by Jonathan Saunders
3. This is my suitcase of gold coins…just saying…. Dress by Christopher Kane, shoes by Missoni
Ahoy! You all know of my never-ending appreciation of Oscar de la Renta, his pieces often show up on Textbook and for good reason. Well, this morning, they’ve joined tumblr. Follow them for a glimpse behind the walls of the famed atelier and the life of OscarPRGirl. In the meantime, please enjoy these ODLR videos I’ve put together for Textbook. Warm welcome.
Good Monday morning to you all. Holden Caulfield was the very first post I ever did on Textbook. Somewhere down the line it got added into my tag line and now it’s kind of a thing. I haven’t styled him since the original post on 9/1/09 so here we go again. For those of you who don’t have a solid idea of who Mr. Caulfield is, I encourage you to read The Catcher in the Rye and get wise. But for our purposes, just imagine he is a bitter Upper East Side 16 year old aching to get out of his poor little rich boy life. What up #WHITEBOYPROBLEMS.
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! Don’t judge me if I post a bunch of pictures from my holiday later.
1. Pencey Prep Jacket, shirt and tie by Band of Outsiders, pants and shoes by Billy Reid
2. Callin’ out Phonies Coat by Robert Geller, sweater by Dries Van Noten, jeans by Gilded Age, vintage bag/shoes
3. Chillin with Phoebs Jacket by Michael Bastian, sweater by Paul Smith, pants by Alexis Mabille (random, I know), double monks by Robert Geller (or from his show anyway)
These are my boots. I wear them every single day when it’s chilly. They have holes in the soles, must get that fixed. They are Rachel Comey boots and she makes a damn good boot. See for yourself at her sweet ass website. Worth every penny…a re-sole and they’ll be good for years.
Was hanging out uptown yesterday and stopped by Ferragamo. As you might recall, this was one of my favorite collections from Fall 2010 and that sweater was one of my favorite pieces. It’s in the fifth avenue shop for a mere $1300.00 and is the softest most comfortable thing ever. I have $5.00 saved up so far.
DISCLAIMER: Today is my mother’s birthday, so send good thoughts out to the world and reblog this like crazy so she feels special. This post was her suggestion.
Most of you probably won’t know who Theodate Pope Riddle is, so let me enlighten you. She was one of the first women architects in America and paved the way for many women working in the field today. She graduated from Miss Porter’s School (now just Porter’s/my backyard) and designed her family estate, Hillstead, in town.
Hillstead Knowing Farmington as I do, I’d expect her style to be approachable, elegant and understated…more of the J.Crew and kate spade vibe than the Lily Pulitzer vibe. Hillstead now exists as a museum housing Hokusai prints, De Gas ballet dancers and Monet’s haystacks. We also walk the dogs here, it’s fun. Enjoy!
1. Taking a stroll on the lawn Dress by Ralph Lauren, jacket by Proenza Schouler, shoes by Celine
2. The Annual Garden Auction Dress by Ralph Lauren, shoes by Valentino
3. Sketching in the sunken garden Coat by Marc Jacobs, dress by Chloe, shoes by Jonathan Saunders
Ahoy! So, I’ve received a lot of messages and e-mails asking for me to start a menswear section of Textbook. As such, I will be posting more menswear looks from now on. Long time followers will remember that I used to do these often.
For the new kids, you can see all men’s character posts HERE.
You can see anything related to menswear including some old personal style shots, favorite products, collection reviews and character posts posted on Textbook HERE.
I am so frightfully tired this morning and I have no idea why. I need to get it together because tonight is the most important night of my life thus far, the premiere of Deathly Hallows. Today, let’s take a look at quarter Veela Fleur Delacour. We’re first presented with the Beauxbatons student in The Goblet of Fire but she comes back strong towards the end of the series after marrying Ron’s brother, Bill. Now, since she’s basically part nymph and one of Beauxbatons’ brightest students you know she’d have some killer style. Enjoy it, y’all.
1. That vampire from Twilight wouldn’t take me to the Yule Ball. Dress by Erdem, shoes by Peter Pilotto
2. Whatever, I’m marrying Bill Weasley, my favorite Ginger Dress by Stella McCartney, shoes by Valentino
3. Welcome to Shell Cottage Dress by Valentino, shoes by Nina Ricci
Continuing the trend of Harry Potter Week, let’s re-examine Bellatrix Lestrange. She’s probably my favorite character in the books and who can deny the genius behind Helena Bonham Carter’s portrayal in the films? Sure, she’s a killer and sure she’s mad but aren’t the mad ones always the BEST ones? Can’t wait to see how HBC turns it out in Deathly Hallows. Enjoy.
1. Neville Longbottom? How’s the folks? Dress by Ann Demeulemeester, cape by Comme des Garcons, shoes and tights by Balmain
2. Escape from Azkaban Dress by Yohji Yamamoto, cape by Rick Owens, shoes by Phillip Lim
3. I think Molly Weasley just called me a bitch…WTF?! Dress by Jean Paul Gaultier, shoes by Christian Dior
Good Tuesday morning to you all. I hope you’re enjoying your week thus far as we continue to celebrate the fast approaching release of Deathly Hallows. Good god, I was in the seventh grade when the first book came out and now at nearly 25, I can’t contain my excitement. Yesterday, I received quite a few requests for Professor Trelawny…so, like…here she is. Professor Trelawny is the perfect representation of that oddball teacher that we’ve all had before—a little eccentric, endearingly enthusiastic and somewhat mad. Naturally, eccentric enthusiastic madness means awesome clothes. Enjoy.
1. We’re going to cast ourselves into the BEYOND! Skirt and socks by Rodarte, shirt and scarf by Paul Smith, shoes by Chloe
2. Look at the cup, WHAT DO YOU SEE!? Dress by Aquilano Rimondi, coat by John Galliano, shoes by Hermes
3. Hurling crystal balls at Death Eaters Dress by Marni, bag by Ralph Lauren, shoes by Peter Pilotto
As you well know, I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter books & films. With the impending release of Deathly Hallows, I’ve decided to dedicate this week to our favorite Harry Potter characters. Many of them have made appearances before, including my all time favorite post, Luna Lovegood. Today, I tried my hand at Hermione Granger. Hermione was exceedingly difficult because the runways of Paris, Milan, London and New York don’t really cater to the denim and striped sweater wearing Witch we’ve all come to love. So imagine this as a “high fashion Hermione,” lame I know but whatever. Enjoy.
1. “We’ve looked a hundred times!” “Not in the restricted section…” Suit by Proenza Schouler, coat and clutch by Michael Kors, shoes by Dries Van Noten
2. “Is that Hermione Granger? With Viktor Krum?” Dress by Jason Wu, shoes by Nina Ricci
3. Casting a Confundus Charm on Cormac at Quidditch Trials Coat by Derek Lam, dress by Jonathan Saunders, shoes by Paul Smith
Thank you all for the many suggestions, keep ‘em coming! Today I bring you Rosalind Connage, the second love of Amory from This Side of Paradise. She’s a New York City debutante, and sadly I know quite a few girls just like her. They’re born rich and will do anything to stay rich, despite the consequences. Rosalind eventually broke off her love affair with Amory because he hadn’t the fortune she was after. Such is life, and Amory was left with nothing but himself. Poor bastard.
1. UPTOWN GIRL, I’VE BEEN LIVIN’ IN MY WHITE BREAD WORLD Dress by Christopher Kane, shoes by Christian Dior
2. THE BEST THINGS ARE FREE, BUT YOU CAN KEEP THEM FOR THE BIRDS AND BEES Trench by Burberry Prorsum, dress by Bottega Veneta, shoes by Dries van Noten
3. CAN YOU PAY MY BILLS? I DON’T THINK YOU DO, SO YOU AND ME ARE THROUGH. Dress by Proenza Schouler, shoes by Yves Saint Laurent